Saturday, December 24

Heart Attack

Have had quite the week!

Arrived at the resort on Sunday. Lovely.
Disney's Epcot Center on Monday. Great, but colder than expected, even for December.
Went to Disney Magic Kingdom Park for part of the day on Tuesday, but didn't take grandmother, as she was tired from Epcot the day before (despite the fact we wheeled her around in a wheelchair.)

Wednesday morning, headed to breakfast before going to Disney-MGM Studios.
Grandmother is insisting she is rested and ready to go.... but..
well.....
I'm sensing "on the edge" emotions.
She is emphatic that nothing happened the day before to upset her (she spent time with Uncle Rusty and his family while we were at the park - which was a happy time, as it should be - but there was certainly something amiss....)
After reassuring me again nothing is wrong, I begin asking her is she is certain she can take in another park day. She says yes, yet my insides are giving me an emphatic "NO!.."
Taking the clue, I cancel breakfast orders, apologize to the waiter, and ask for the nearest walk-in clinic (it is Florida, after all... and thankful they seem to cater to the heath needs of the elderly) and he directs us a few miles down the road.
We take off... the clinic immediately performs an EKG, and recommend transfer to a hospital 10 miles away. Since grandmother can walk, and still claims she is "okay" (though now stating that she is tired) they tell me that I can drive her rather than use an emergency vehicle (which is good, as the idea of this makes her more stressed.)
We get her to the 1st hosiptal, they do another EKG and some blood tests, inform us that she has been having a heart attack for at least 24 hours, and that her heart is very unstable and could go to "severe at any moment" (an absolute replay of her last heart attack, BTW) and they medi-vac her to a cardiac center 30 miles from there. This all takes place in 20 minutes from arrival to prep for the helio..
The 2nd hospital performs surgery upon arrival, giving her a stint on the right side of her artery (her last one resulted in a stint on the left.)
She now looks better than she has throughout the entire past year.
And...
that's it for the vacation attempts.

Peanut and I come down with colds.
I spend most of the time either visiting or worrying about grandmother - OR sleeping off being sick. She cant travel yet.
I will have to travel back to Michigan as booked for work, and return when she can travel.

I have many things to say about the Florida health system. ALL of them are positive.

In other news..Nothing I feel like sharing.
Still trying to work out my emotions.. (damn things..)and 3:30am is no time to do that.